For each three-year license cycle, all active real estate brokers must complete 24 hours of continuing education.
Regarding a newly licensed broker: An initial broker's license expires at midnight on December 31st of the year in which it was issued. During that initial licensure period, the newly licensed broker will not have any obligation to complete any continuing education. After that initial license period, the active licensee will then be on a three-year license cycle and be obligated to complete 24 hours of continuing education within that licensing cycle.
Three-Year License Cycle Continuing Education Requirements
Twelve (12) of the 24 hours must be comprised of three (3) different versions of the four hour (4) Annual Commission Update Course.
The remaining twelve (12) hours can be any combination of elective credit hours approved by the Commission.
You must retain proof of completion of continuing education courses for a minimum of four years and provide proof of completion upon the Commission's request.
Transition License Cycle Continuing Education Requirements
To accommodate licensees during the transition period, licensees may complete two (2) different versions of the Annual Commission Update Course to satisfy the eight (8) hours of mandated education pursuant to section 12-10-213(1)(b), C.R.S.
Licensees who choose this option must also complete an additional sixteen (16) hours of elective credit hours to meet the 24-hour total continuing education requirement during the transition period.
Inactive License Continuing Education Requirements
If your license has been inactive for longer than three (3) years/36 months, you MUST complete either:
- The State portion of the Colorado Broker's Exam, or
- 48 Hours in Colorado Contracts & Regulations and 24 hours in Real Estate Closings (for a total of 72 hours).
Annual Commission Update Course
Each year the Commission develops a four (4) hour Annual Commission Update Course that covers important information about recent regulatory changes and practice issues.
- All active real estate brokers are required to attend the course each year and pass the exam.
- The course has important information about current statutes and rules promulgated by the Commission. You are strongly encouraged to attend the course early in the calendar year.
- If you take four (4) versions of the update course during the license cycle, the fourth class may be counted toward the elective credit requirement. It may not be used for credit in the next/upcoming license cycle.
Alternative to Annual Commission Update Course
Annual Commission Update courses are mandatory. Once the course year has passed, that version cannot be made up. In this case, you will need to investigate alternative ways to meet the continuing education requirements. The options include:
- Completing the 24 hour Broker Reactivation Course (permitted once every other license cycle).
- Completing and passing the State portion of the Colorado Broker's Exam.